Friday, October 12, 2007

Day 94

I was so exhausted last night that I actually dreamt of being exhausted. In my dream, I was visiting friends on the seashore and wanted to go for a walk along the beach. But I couldn't, because I couldn't stay awake. I slept in until 9 - almost unheard of for me - and had a tough time even motivating myself to go for a walk.

I taught a lot this week. With my new corporate class, I'm at my maximum number of classes per week and this will continue through early December. Most of my classes are on Wednesday and Thursday this session, so those days are particularly intense. I've seriously considered taking Friday as my 'day off' because by Thursday night, I'm wiped.

I almost skipped practice this morning, but decided that I should at least try. Part of me was like a recalcitrant child as I dragged myself onto the mat. I did not want to be there. I tried to focus on breath, as I had on Wednesday, but my mind wandered. I picked at my nails. I petted the dog. I took potty breaks.

I was definitely not present.

I finally gave up at Navasana, did a few handstands, a shoulderstand and fidgeted through Savasana. I have six-year-old students who are less fidgety and more focused than I was today.

I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. It's such a contrast after having a series of incredible practices last week. I feel like I'm a different person.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Could it possibly be that you are working out too much? Perhaps you need a day or two to just be and nurture yourself. Could it be?

Kaivalya said...

Interesting idea, but I don't think that's it. I took a day off yesterday for the 'moon day' and then I slept in this morning, so I'm well-rested.

I see my doctor on a monthly basis (due to a medical treatment I'm undergoing) and he says that both my level of physical activity and my diet is very healthy.

I have a theory though. I checked my calendar and whadayaknow, my 'lady's holiday' is in a few days. It wouldn't be the first time I felt cruddy due to PMS ;-)