Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 341

Morning practice today, followed by a half-hour of chanting with my shruti box. That instrument wasn't cheap, but it's turning out to be the best thing I spent money on this year. I simply love it. There's something so addictive about it. I'm using it as the 'carrot' to lure myself to the mat. Practice for one hour and I get the shruti. This is really working for me.

It's interesting to observe my own reaction to a longer yoga practice. Starting the first sun salutation is always the hardest part, then I settle into it. I find my mind wandering more these days. Julie mentioned that her 'monkey mind' kicks in after the standing poses. It's the same for me - as soon as my bum hits the mat, it's monkey time. Janu Sirsasana is the worst.

But there's something magical about those gaps of stillness when I so find them. The sunbeams falling across my mat, or the glow of candles - a sense of peace and wholeness. A deep connection with my breath. Feeling like I'm suddenly *fully* in my body.

I've missed this!

1 comment:

alfia said...

That is what it's called! I saw it in one of the Sivananda classes in Miami, but never knew it was called a "shruti box". Thank you, Kai! :)