Sunday, April 13, 2008

Day 232

Saturday's ice hockey sign-up was every bit as grim as I had expected. I was grumpy. The line-up was long (even though I arrived at 7:30 a.m. for the 9:00 a.m. start time, I was still #30 in line). The arena was cold. I was too distracted to read my book, so I was bored. Oh yeah, and there's that other stuff I'm not talking about. Argh. I do not like drama.

But my drama was purely personal. Other people were suffering from will-I-get-a-spot-in-the-league drama. Not fun - I'm glad that wasn't me. By 8:30, there were nearly 200 women in line (and a few men, filling in for absent wives and girlfriends). There are only 120 spots in the league (even after they expanded the league last year). They started sign-up a bit early, at 8:30. I was relieved.

On the bright side, it *was* kind of fun to see everyone in the league, in the same place at the same time. That's doesn't happen very often. I took to greeting people with a wry “Welcome to the line-up!”. There was a party atmosphere that I probably would have been able to enjoy if I hadn't been so angsty. Rockstar Friend brought her guitar and entertained everyone. There was free coffee and donuts for those who partake (I don't). I entertained myself observing the amazed looks that flashed across people's faces as they walked in and saw the length of the line.

It was all good in the end: I got my spot in the league for next year. To be honest, I would line up at 3 a.m. to get that spot. I like hockey. With the quicker-than-expected start, I had time to bike home in the freezing rain and thaw before heading off to teach my morning class (via subway - there was no way I was going to do that in the weather).

This morning, I happily leapt on the mat and enjoyed a lovely practice. I've been coasting along for quite awhile now, so the Ashtanga Gods threw me a bone: I straightened my arms in Bhujapindasana, then tucked my feet under and delicately laid my head on the floor, without my usual face-plant. I was so surprised that I fell over. Also: I had the Best Garba Pindasana Ever.

No comments: