Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 230

I was feeling mentally flighty and agitated this morning. A while back, I worked in a government office for almost a year (while teaching yoga full-time; yes, I was overscheduled!) and although I loved the job and the people, it was easily the most stressful work environment I've ever experienced. This morning at the soup kitchen, I discovered that a few of my fellow volunteers knew my boss and several of my former coworkers (this was no surprise, as both of them are in the legal profession). So I chatted with them about what it was like to work in that office and we indulged in a little shop talk/gossip.

It was loads of fun, but I was amazed by how stressed out I got even *thinking* about that job. I must have been a basket case when I worked there!

So today I literally *needed* yoga to calm and centre myself. It was interesting to observe how effective my practice is for doing just that. I did feel better after and I savoured every moment of my practice. Yes, I'm back in the 'bliss phase' again. I'm enjoying it because who knows how long it will last!

I photographed my backbend this morning, to get a sense of progress. I don't see a huge difference between this one and late February, perhaps a bit more openness in the armpits and shoulders. Yoga Chickie advises that the Driste is the feet. . If that's the case, my feet may as well be on Jupiter. ;-) Baby steps...

February:
I can't believe this is my backbend

April:
State of the Backbend: April

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh gosh, I get a little stressed out as well when talking about previous jobs. It's always fun catching up but I can't help but feel a little embarrassed also. Yoga is such an amazing way to focus back to the present and move forward. I love how you document your progression!

Anonymous said...

wow!!

Yoga Chickie said...

Hi k...i cannot believe that i just found your delighful blog! It is a pleasure to read your adventures in ashtanga. Wish i had not come so late to the party.

Anyway!

Your chest and armpits look nicely open in UD. Your legs are (enviably) long, so i am not sure how much you are going to be able to straighten your legs, but keep pushing out of your feet and keep searching for them with your eyes. :)

Kaivalya said...

Yoga Chickie: I was delighted to see your comment - thanks so much for stopping by! Your blog is one of my favourites, so I'm flattered to know that you're reading!

I seem to be on some kind of 'plateau' in UD, so your comments are helpful. It's comforting to know that other people struggle with this pose. You've inspired me to work towards drop-backs this summer and I think your 'stand-ups' are marvelous! ;-)

Perhaps there's hope for all of us non-back-benders after all!