Monday, July 11, 2011

I need more arms!


If Sundays are my 'superhero practices', Mondays are my 'reality check practices'. Today wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

I struggled with nearly everything that felt easy on Sunday. Laghu Vajrasana felt impossible, so of course I couldn't repeat yesterday's success in Kapotasana either, and Pincha was just plain hard. Hard and scary and *whomp* and get up and try again and *whomp*.

While I was at the wall, DT came over and helped me stay in the balance, nudging my legs in one direction and then the other as I swayed like a wet noodle in space. I was determined to stay up for as long as she was willing to stand there, but eventually I started to faceplant and had to bail. I asked her about gazepoint and she said definitely the floor - not the hands. I'm relieved. It's so much easier!

The only thing that didn't feel particularly difficult today was the leg-behind-head poses. Surprise! Last week, LBH was pure misery, which I dreaded every day. My complaints this week are mostly logistical. In Dwi Pada, I can get my left leg behind my head fairly easily, but when I go for the right leg, my right calf suddenly seems HUGE and there's no easy way to wiggle it over my shoulder.

I know, I know! These crazy first world problems! ;-)

If I had the balance, I could extend my right arm and push my lower leg over my shoulder with my left hand. Of course, I'm still struggling to balance in Dwi Pada and even if I could, I'm pretty sure that manoeuvre would completely throw me off.

I think it might be helpful to have more than one set of arms. Is this why some Indian deities have eight arms? They could sure come in handy...


I'll bet Goddess Durga has *no* problem with Dwi Pada Sirsasana, ya think?!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Ramapriya Ramanuja said...

The joys of recovery! Generally our body takes around 24 hours (or a rest, a couple of meals and a sleep) to recover and then another rest, a couple more meals and a sleep (or 24 hours!) to build. For this reason, I have two days a week (3 if I'm lucky), where I really put in a big effort where I know that the results will come and the other days are play and recover and come what may. Resistance, it appears to me, is futile :o)

Loving your blog by the way