Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day 173

I knew that this part of the week would be exhausting and I had a strategy. So far, it's worked pretty well. It's called “Getting Enough Sleep”.

I went to sleep at the shockingly early hour of 8 p.m. on Tuesday to stock up on Z's. This gave me the extra oompf to get through yesterday. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night (I never do with a late bedtime and early wake-up for practice and my Karma Yoga, but I napped for an hour-and-a-half today, so that's something.

Interesting, though: I feel pretty rotten today. Groggy and I WANT. A. CUPCAKE. Emotional eating, anyone? Turns out, I'm just a girl who needs her sleep and naps don't quite cut it. I can't do anything about this Thursday schedule (I need to be up early to work my shift at the soup kitchen and if practice doesn't happen early, it just doesn't happen), but I can make sure I get my adequate Z's on the other nights.

Today: I hit the mat this morning at the blood-curdling hour of 4:15 a.m. and had a focused, utilitarian practice. Read: I got it over with. I taught five classes yesterday, so I think it's fair to say that I was a bit burnt out on yoga. I'm still hip with the WoYoPracMo, tho. And one week away from achieving my goal of the full primary series every day in January.

I'm still meditating daily and haven't missed a day. I'm up to 20 minutes of meditation a day and plan to boost that to 30 minutes (which is officially my limit, in keeping with the meditation tradition I'm following). Daily meditation is one of my New Year Goals, so I'll be continuing for the rest of the year.

Today's Musical Sirsasana was 'Walking With a Ghost' by Tegan and Sara (2 minutes, 37 seconds). I may need another headstand, though, to get me through the day (without the cupcake).

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great going with the WoYoPracmo hon. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. And, I get the cupcake thing. I'm hopeless with lack of sleep too.